We are now headed into the 2nd season of seasonal anime for 2017. With winter ending on a pretty good note with some very notable shows, Spring ushers in a bunch of sequels of some outstanding anime and a bunch of new ones. After watching the first couple of episodes for each series (I picked up a lot more this season which looked good) I’m following, expectations are pretty good for now with a lot of series having a strong start.
- note: Most of my expectations and anticipation for each anime is generally based off the 1st episode, if I’ve read the manga and any news (e.g. seiyuus, synopsis) regarding the anime that I’ve read. (This post is a bit late (almost half way through) but it’ll still be about impressions from about watching 2 or 3 episodes per series.)
- Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Flat: Raising girlfriends is back, oh and so is making games. After a very successful first season, Saekano’s 2nd season looks to further the game development and expand on its characters. The first season was great and the first couple episodes of its 2nd were also great, so high hopes here.
- Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season: In terms of popularity this series probably rivals that of Shingeki’s. With a continuation of the story about heroes and villains, it provided to be a great start to the season offering a lot of energy in its opening episodes. I have not read the source material but can still feel, this is going to be something great.
- Renai Boukun: Matching couples through the use of a notebook seems like a fun idea. With the whole concept of cupids running around doing so, may lead to some great situations, and that’s what it has been so far. I have read the source material here and it seems like one of those fun loving antic like anime, so here’s to a good season.
- Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records: Magic battles and schools seem to be a common occurrence in anime. With Rokudenashi taking that and providing more of a unique start to the genre. It had an interesting start, and having read the manga it seems like it’ll get better, but only time will tell.
- Boruto Naruto Next Generations: Naruto is over, and a new story begins, ushering the story of Boruto, Naruto’s son and his journey in the ninja world. Though being a new series, it does bring all that Naruto goodness from its predecessor. I have read what has been released of the manga, and it seems like its headed in a different direction. With everything that has happened so far, it might be “that” show for this generation of Naruto fans.
- Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka Isogashii desu ka Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka: Based off a Light novel Series SukaSuka, brings with it a weird feeling when I watched the first couple of episodes. It had inklings of something more and the possibilities that could occur could be great. It had a promising start and hopefully they take the right path because it might be a pretty big sleeper this season.
- Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2: Shingeki is back after its really popular first season, with a continuation of its source material underway, this season seems like it may provide a different feel from the first. I have read what has been released in regards to source material so it’ll be good.
- Granblue Fantasy The Animation: Based off the game created by Cygames, Granblue Fantasy follows the story within the game. It provided a unique art style, and for someone who has played the game it has remained faithful so far, the music is nostalgic and fun so here’s hoping they stick to it as it gets better and better.
- Tsuki ga Kirei: This series in its first couple of episodes is my dark horse for anime this season. It’s subtle touch towards middle school brings about all the nostalgic feelings growing up as a teenager. In being an original it is unknown to me about what’s going to happen, so I have some great expectations after what they threw in the first 3 episodes.
- Cinderella Girls Gekijou (TV + Web Series): Cinderella girls are back but in more of a shorter format and chibi like artstyle. These shorts bring about snippets of the characters schedules and events, and its been nice and fun so far, so hopefully they keep up the pace.
- Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism: Revolving around a delinquent within a school made to reform them, it’s story came off as one of those school action anime. With a focus on martial arts and the use of different weapons, it does set itself apart from other similar anime. I have read part of the manga, and it seems like its going to follow that source, which is pretty good, because it’s not a bad manga actually.
- Frame Arms Girl: For an anime about essentially models, Frame Arms Girls brought with it that Busou Shinki feeling when watching it. Cute girls shaped as models may become a thing, and getting on that theme early seems like the right choice. Its been pretty good so far, so hopefully they continue this consistency.
- Tsugumomo: Based off its long running manga, Tsugumomo started off solidly with its introduction to its cast, the world they live in and its story. It had a good start so hopefully this is kept up.
- Eromanga-sensei: The basic Rom/com/harem this season. Eromanga-sensei focuses on literature, light novels and graphic design. With the characters introduced so far, it seems to be quite quirky. Also to note that they got ClariS and TrySail for their OP & ED so that’s pretty darn awesome.
- Clockwork Planet: For a story revolved around gears it brings with it a steam punk setting within a modern city. This premise provides to be quite interesting. I have read what has been released in terms of its manga, and it becomes more than what has been shown so far, so hopefully this happens because its not a bad story either.
- Re;Creators: What if anime were real? Re;Creators asks us that question and plunges that into their story. It’s a unique setting and an interesting one, so hopefully they expand on this world and its characters, because it might be quite good.
- Sakura Quest: Moving into the workforce can be tough, and Sakura Quest follows that vibe. With inklings of Shirobako when watching this series could be one that takes hold of this season, and maybe even the year. Its been a good start so far, as it does include some cute girls doing cute things elements, which is always an enjoyable watch.
- Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho: A world with witches and magic, where those who have those powers are persecuted. It brings about one of those me against the world stories and hopefully it gets better.
- Uchouten Kazoku 2: Back after its 1st season, Uchouten Kazoku brings back all the tanukis and Tengus within their story. It’s first season for myself was okay, so I guess it’s worth picking up its 2nd and the possibility that it will be better.
- Sin Nanatsu no Taizai: The obligatory fan service and ecchi anime for this season. With the whole concept of angels vs demons it allows for that battle action as well. There’s nothing much to say but hopefully they continue with what they have.
- BanG Dream
Overall this season has a lot of pre-established anime which have been great. This being mixed in with a bunch of possible sleeper hits and dark horses allows it to be quite a well rounded season. When I look at it wholistically it does seem a little top heavy with a majority of the anime having strong starts to their seasons, and with a strong continuation of their story, may compete for those Best in categories at the end of the year, so here’s hoping.