Overall: The 2016 Summer season brought with it a bunch of good and great anime. The season in a whole fell more onto the positive side of things, with many shows being quite easy to watch, get into and hype up. Story was a main driver in a lot of these anime, backed up with a strong cast and animations to boot.
How did I judge what was good?
Everything is subjective in a review, I find it difficult to review things objectively unless there is a community consensus on how good something is (there never really is). So, in the end I review based on my taste and on the best points of an anime. Whether it gave me the satisfaction of watching it, put a smile on my face or just generally made me think were some criteria I used.
OP/ED: There were a variety of different songs this season, and probably could be seen as good depending on other peoples taste. For me, it was very similar to last season in terms of OPs, however for EDs it was more of a down season. What really stood out this season were the insert songs, which probably fit most of the scenes they were in, amplifying their wholistic effect in the process.
In that being said here we go:
OP of the Season:
- Kakuma Ai, Okamoto Nobuhito – Daisuki dayo Daisuki dayo Umaretekite Arigatou (Momokuri)
- Penguin Research – Button (ReLife)
- Aqours – Aozora Jumping Heart (Love Live Sunshine!)
- Special Mentions:
- iRis – ReCall (Sousei no Onmyouji)
ED of the Season:
- Aqours – Yume Kataruyori Yume Utaou (Love Live Sunshine!)
- Mia Regina – Eternal Explorer (Momokuri)
Summer 2016 Anime of the Season: