With the end of 2015 comes a whole new year of anime in the year 2016. The winter season kicks off the year with a number of different anime to watch. There is a lot of carry over from last season, so here’s a small taste on what I’m watching, or have watched the first 2 episodes for so far:
- note: Most of my expectations and anticipation for each anime is generally based off the 1st episode, if I’ve read the manga and any news (e.g. seiyuus, synopsis) regarding the anime that I’ve read.
- Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm:Based on the visual novel made by the company sprite (who also made Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate), it offered a really strong base to what is a story off sports. If its anything like sprites other games (which I have played and enjoyed), the visual novel adaptation will probably do really well.
- Dagashi Kashi: For a comedy about different kinds of candy, it was really amusing over its first 2 weeks. The character designs are different from most anime, and that added a bit of uniqueness to everything. Here’s hoping they continue the trend, and continue that focus on the characters.
- Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season: Gate is back for its 2nd season. I have read past this point in the manga, and it only gets better. With Itami continuing to solve problems in the world beyond the Gate, hopefully they continue the adaptation at the pace its been going at.
- Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!: Straight out an RPG world, with adventurers, classes, levels and party’s, this show appeals to my gamers heart and mind. Everything is very pretty, with the solid use of colors so far. I’ve read the manga up to a certain point, but this adaptation will probably past that, so here’s to something that I have high expectations from.
- Musaigen no Phantom World: This show is pretty and I mean pretty, with KyoAni taking the reigns, I have no doubts that it will only get better. The story line is something I haven’t watched or delved into before, so hopefully its good.
- Nijiiro Days: This is literally a slice of life. Going to school with your friends and seeing the antics happen. It’s all about relationships and how the 4 boys interact with each other, but also their female counterparts. It started off really strong for me (#1 spot after 2 episodes), where I have read the manga, and it only gets better.
- Shoujotachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: Being based on a game that hasn’t even been released yet (2016-03-25), it provided a different perspective into the world of game creation and the reasons behind it. Being an adaptation of the game created by Minato Soft (The creators of my favorite VN – Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!), I have no idea where it may go, but it started with a strong premise, so hopefully that continues.
- Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Second Season: Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 2nd season hits the airs and Koro-sensei is back with all his comedic antics and lessons to be taught. It started off a bit more serious than the first season, but its a good continuation on from the 2nd of the 1st season.
- Durarara Ketsu x2: The story continues, with piecing different puzzles together to get the picture. Ketsu is the last season in the series, and will hopefully sum up all of the events in Ikebukuro so far.
- Hai to Gensou no Grimgar: This anime takes the insert characters into new world based off a game and let them fight against the dark lord or something straight out the window. It’s dramatic, and darker, with no fighting against the dark lord, but against the world just to live. It’s a different perspective of living everyday life in a fantasy world, its fresh.
- Luck & Logic: Honestly, this show confuses me, with the talk of logic and overdrive and everything, it was difficult to understand all the detail in the first 2 episodes. However, they were quite exciting with the premise inserting someone who use to be good back into the action rather than a newbie, it provided for a different feeling. I hope they explain more about the world.
- Ooyasan wa Shishunki: The only new short I’m taking on board this season. It’s cute, like cute. The character interactions and everything added together make what a short needs to be. So here’s hoping to more cuteness and goodness in the future.
- Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut: I’ve read the source manga (however not the LN), for this. Honestly I was also confused with all the character designs (some were really similar). But I hope they continue on with this new and old royal family story line, as it was quite interesting to see where everyone fell into in the past, and now into the present.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: For a adaptation of a MMORPG, usually there isn’t much expectations, but the first 2 episodes have really shown that it can be done well in the right way. There hasn’t been much introduction into the game, so here’s hoping for more of that.
- Naruto Shippuuden
- Fairy Tail -> Fairy Tail Zero
- Heavy Object
- Utwaremono: Itsuwari no Kamen
- God Eater (When will this come out!?)
- JK Meshi!
Overall the whole Winter season started off really strong (the strongest I’ve seen in a long time). Before watching the first 2 episodes, I didn’t really get into the season as much, but when I did, man was it something else. With many anime fitting into similar genres, it was nice too see genres I enjoyed. With that being said, I hope all the productions continue on with this strong start, to hopefully make one of the strongest seasons of anime ever.